I solved failed catalog for one database mailbox (healthy) copy in DAG (Exchange 2010 SP2).
Get-MailboxDatabase -Identity DB12 | Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus | ft -a Name Status CopyQueueLength ReplayQueueLength LastInspectedLogTime ContentIndexState ---- ------ --------------- ----------------- -------------------- ----------------- DB12\APOLON03 Healthy 0 0 Failed
I tried to seed healthy catalog from different server via Update-MailboxDatabaseCopy but I noticed error (EMS):
Update-MailboxDatabaseCopy -Identity DB12\APOLON03 -SourceServer APOLON02 -CatalogOnly -DeleteExistingFiles A source-side operation failed. Error An error occurred while performing the seed operation. Error: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. . [Database: DB12, Server: APOLON03.contoso.com] + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [Update-MailboxDatabaseCopy], SeedInProgressException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 96381555,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.UpdateDatabaseCopy
Windows Application Log indicated the error:
Log Name: Application Source: MSExchange Search Indexer Event ID: 107 Task Category: General Level: Warning Keywords: Classic Computer: APOLON02.contoso.com Description: Exchange Search Indexer has temporarily disabled indexing of the Mailbox Database DB12 (GUID = dd565f15-6a78-3afx-b998-56a54b1cd38b) due to an error (External process paused indexing). Log Name: Application Source: MSExchangeRepl Event ID: 4026 Task Category: Service Level: Error Keywords: Classic Computer: APOLON03.contoso.com Description: [Seed Manager] The seed request for database 'DB12' encountered an error during seeding. Error: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. Log Name: Application Source: ExchangeStoreDB Event ID: 123 Task Category: Database recovery Level: Error Keywords: Classic Computer: APOLON03.contoso.com Description: At '2013-02-04 13:45:26' the Microsoft Exchange Information Store Database 'DB12' copy on this server experienced a corrupted search catalog. Consult the event log on the server for other "ExchangeStoreDb" and "MSExchange Search Indexer" events for more specific information about the failure. Reseeding the catalog is recommended via the 'Update-MailboxDatabaseCopy' task.
Error “The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable” is the reason.
I tried to open corrupted catalog directory and got following error. (Basically the catalog is located in the same path as related mailbox database and its name is little hectic e.g. CatalogData-dd745f15-6a78-4afd-b668-56a54b1cd38b-3bc671fc-a677-4ad4-a6b1-032167dbcb1d.)
The problem with catalog directory would be solved via Chkdsk /f, but I did not use it. I stopped MSExchangeSearch (Stop-Service MSExchangeSearch), renamed catalog folder (e.g. Failed Catalog) and started MSExchangeSearch again (Start-Service MSExchangeSearch). After that new catalog directory was generated automatically and the catalog had ContentIndexState as Crawling. I did not want to wait on new indexing so I used the Update-MailboxDatabaseCopy (command above) again. It passed without problem and ContentIndexState was subsequently healthy.